Alabama Adoption Lawyers in Birmingham
Adoption is a rewarding opportunity to start or expand a family, increase the amount of love in your life, and have a major impact on the life of a child. As joyful as adoption is, though, the process of navigating adoption laws and finalizing it can be strenuous, stressful, and emotional.
At the offices of Kirk Drennan Law, our experienced adoption lawyers are available to lend support, guidance, and legal representation as you embark on the adoption process. For your consultation, please call our law firm today to learn more about how we can help.
Types of Adoption Cases We Work On
Our law firm is knowledgeable in a variety of different adoption case types and can competently represent you. Types of adoption cases we handle include:
- Private adoptions. A private adoption refers to an adoption that takes place through an adoption agency. It may be international or domestic.
- Domestic adoptions. Domestic adoptions are typically less complicated than are international adoptions, but there are still plenty of legal considerations and challenges.
- Step-parent adoptions. It is not uncommon for stepparents to want to adopt their stepchildren. When this is the case, it is very important that the biological parent first agrees to terminate their parental rights.
- International adoptions. International adoptions are particularly complex, as both domestic and international laws will need to be considered.
- Other types of adoptions. We work on include relative, non-relative, foster care, DHR, and interstate adoptions. Please feel free to reach out to us directly with any questions you have about the services that we are able to provide.
We are also familiar with some of the complex issues that exist during an adoption proceeding, including the value or consequences of an open vs. closed adoption, termination of parental rights, termination of the rights of other relatives (such as grandparents), and compliance with state, federal, and international laws, such as the Indian Child Welfare Act.
Who Can Adopt in Alabama?
In Alabama, most adults have the ability to adopt a child, regardless of marital status (single people can adopt, too), gender, or sexual orientation. Sometimes, private agencies have certain requirements for who can adopt; for example, some adoption agencies have requirements for married couples to be married for a certain amount of time before they can adopt. If you have questions about whether or not you are eligible to adopt, please talk to an attorney.
Why You Need a Skilled Adoption Lawyer on Your Side
Adoption law is by far one of the most complex areas of family law, and pursuing an adoption is a process that you should never attempt to navigate on your own. The consequences of representing yourself during an adoption and making an error may be significant and could include a delayed time frame for completing the adoption, an increase in costs and expenses related to the adoption, and, in the worst of cases, a termination of the adoption.
Your attorney can help you to understand the relevant adoption laws surrounding your case; answer your questions about what steps you need to take, what documents you need to provide, etc.; manage all documents and paperwork on your behalf; gather evidence to support your case; and provide general assistance and support to help you move smoothly through the adoption process.
What to Expect from Kirk Drennan Law
Adopting a child is one of the biggest decisions you and your family will ever make. You want to do everything right along the way and choosing the best lawyer for your situation can be part of that process. As you begin your search for adoption lawyers in Alabama, here’s what you need to know about the firm of Kirk Drennan Law:
- We’re experienced. As a law firm that was founded in 2011 and that has multiple attorneys with diverse backgrounds and education, our team brings more than a decade of combined legal experience to the table, as well as unique perspectives and skills. When so much is on the line, choosing a law firm that is experienced really matters.
- We care about our clients. One thing that sets us apart from many other law firms out there is that our lawyers truly care about the work that they do and want to achieve the best possible outcomes for their clients. We’re motivated by the best interests of our clients and realize that the most important person in your case is you. As such, we’ll always design a personalized strategy for your case, remain available and accessible, and work for you as if we were working for a member of our own family.
- Results matter to us. One thing that our law firm prides itself on is getting results. We don’t cut corners, and we have the client testimonials and the track record of success to prove it. What’s more, we’ve been recognized by Martindale-Hubbell® for our ethical standards and are legal abilities.
- We have the resources that it takes. Finally, one of the top reasons to work with our law firm is that our team has the resources that it takes to successfully navigate an adoption case. Not only can we fully commit to your case, but we can also hire experts, request documents, and effectively manage your case as you deserve–these abilities, and others, can have a big impact on the outcome of your adoption case.
Call Our Experienced Alabama Adoption Attorneys Today
At the law office of Kirk Drennan Law, we know how important adoption is to families in our state, and we want to help you as you navigate the process. Our team is passionate about the work that we do and is here to help you make sense of a very complex–but very rewarding–process. If you have questions about adoption and how our law firm can help you along the way, please reach out to us directly by phone at (205) 803-3500 or send us a message using the intake form on our website.